Pages

Friday, February 04, 2011

ch.6

--6
Avenue Foch, Paris. 1700 hours
A Gestapo opened the door. Another Gestapo came to him as he saluted. The Gestapo pushed Ed down the car. “Bring him,” he said. The other nodded and dragged Ed away.
Karl got down of the car. “We’re doing this quickly,” he told on of his men. “Take him to the usual room. I’ll speak with the boss, then I’ll join you,” Karl said. The man nodded and followed the others.
They brought Ed to a room. “Stand face to the wall,” one of them said. “No, I refuse,” Ed said. The man kicked Ed and let him bump to the wall. He gave out a scream of pain. The Gestapo tied him with a chain and hung the chain on the hook on the ceiling. “What now?” one of the Gestapo asked. “Wait. For leutnant, of course,” the other answered.
Karl got into the room and pointed at the door. The rest of the Gestapo left the room. “Wait, wait,” Karl said. “You,” he said as he pointed to one of them. “Stay here.”
The man walked back into the room and took a shotgun from the corner of the room.
“Guten Tag, Monsieur,” Karl said. “Or perhaps I should say sir?”
Ed didn’t answer. “What do you want?” he asked. “Just some information abut your friend… or if you call them so,” Karl said. “Just get straight to the point. What do you want?” Ed asked. “You’re not that sharp, are you?” Karl said. “I just want to know where your friends are.”
Ed didn’t say anything. “Tell me and you’re free,” he said. “Unfortunately, herr,” Ed said. “You know British Agents aren’t that easy,” he said. “Well,” Karl said. “You know what you will deserve, then.”
The Gestapo smacked Ed on the face.
“AAAAH!”
Ed panted. He sat up and looked at Karl. “If you’re treating me this bad,” Ed said. “I will stay shut.”
Karl thought for a while. “So if I treat you better,” he said. “You’ll tell me something?”
“Well,” Ed said. “I’m wondering what the question is?”
Karl thought for a while, then he stood up and walked to Ed. “If you don’t mind?” Karl said. “You know someone by the name Aristide?”
Ed was stunned. “Come on, do you know something?” Karl asked. Ed thought for a while. “No,” he said as he shook his head. “Come on, don’t lie,” Karl said. “I’m not lying,” Ed said. “I don’t know at all.”
Karl walked further as he coded the Gestapo.
“AAAAHHH!”
The Gestapo took the shotgun and held it tight. “Tell me,” Karl said. “I’m telling you I don’t know,” Ed said.
“AAAH!”
“Let’s see how long you keep up with your cool,” Karl said. “Besides… it’s kind of impossible for you not to know your boss.”
“Boss?” Ed asked. “Boss of what kind?”
“AHHH!”
“Keep smacking,” Karl said. The Gestapo nodded. “Now, now,” Karl said. “Still stay shut?”
“As you expect from an agent,” Ed said “No.”
“AAAAH!”
“Still refuse?” Karl asked. “Bloody damn, yes!” Ed said. Karl sat back. “You’re kind of rough, aren’t you, Sheffield?” he said. Ed smiled. “Are you mistaken, herr, or did we know each other?” Ed asked. “Because I don’t remember making friend to a German jerk like you.”
Karl slapped Ed. Ed just laughed out loud. “So, Karl,” Ed said. “You know what kind of greeting you’re giving your buddy?” “No, I don’t think it’s a bad greeting, especially for a British Agent,” Karl said. Ed smiled. “You’re not telling me?” Karl asked. “No, no, no,” Ed said. “Just remember how stubborn I am and try to fight it.”
Karl thought for a while. He sat down and sighed. “Still stubborn like before, Sheffield,” he said as he coded the Gestapo.
“AAAHH!”
‘Where is Aristide?” Karl asked. “I don’t know!” Ed shouted. “Ask the one who told you where I am!”
“Are you sure?” Karl said. “Because you’ll see him… kind of soon.”
Ed didn’t do anything. “Franograd, right?” he said. Karl stood up.
“Good,” Karl said. “Where is he?”
“In the depths of hell, I guess,” Ed said. “He died in the most shameful way an agent can die,” Ed said. “To be shot… I mean executed, by the name of SOE,” he said.
Karl walked out of the room. “You know where to put him, don’t you?” Karl said. “We’ll continue… maybe tomorrow. It’s late, you know.”
The man nodded and took Ed down the hook. “Follow me, and be obedient,” he said.

0800 hours
Two Gestapo unlocked the cell and dragged Ed out. “Come on, agent,” one of them said. “We’ve got a surprise for you.”
Ed didn’t say anything. “Seems like you don’t really care, huh?” he asked. Ed still didn’t say anything. The Gestapo kicked him to a door.
“GAAAH!”
“Oh, what a sweet sound,” the Gestapo said. “Hey, hey, don’t overdo it,” the other said. “Huh? I thought we have to make him talk,” the Gestapo said. “Let the boss take care of it, ok?” the Gestapo said. “Ok,” the Gestapo said. “Let’s let the boss does it.”
The Gestapo opened the door and kicked Ed in. “Put him on the chair, please,” Karl said.
Ed let himself to be dragged by the Gestapo. They lifted him and put him on the chair. They took a rope and tied him tight.
“Now, now, Sheffield,” Karl said. “I guess one of my careless subordinates told you about today?”
“That there’ll be a bloody surprise?” Ed asked. “Yes, they told me.”
“Get him in,” Karl shouted. The door flew open and a Gestapo brought in a man. Ed looked at the man. “Who is this?”
“One of your comrades,” Karl simply answered. “I don’t know him sorry,” Ed said. “Either you know him or not, I don’t care,” Karl said. “Beat him up.”
One of the Gestapo pushed the man to the wall. “Where is Aristide?” Karl asked. “I’m telling you I don’t know,” Ed said. “Don’t pretend to be stupid,” Karl said as he coded his men.
“AAAHHH!”
“Where is Aristide?” Karl asked. “I’m telling you I don’t know!” Ed shouted. Karl walked to the other agent.
“What’s your name?” he asked. “Raoul,” the man answered. “Do you know Aristide?” Karl asked. Raoul shook his head. “Choose one,” he said. “Watch your friend suffer or tell me a friend’s position.”
Raoul shook his head. “No,” he said. One of the Gestapo took a knife and slashed Ed’s back.
“AAAH!”
“Tell me where an operator is,” Karl said. “No, don’t tell this bloody German… AAAH!”
“Who told you to interfere, Sheffield?” Karl asked. “Just sit there and shut that mouth up.”
Ed panted. A Gestapo got out of the room. “An operator,” Karl said. “No, I don’t know,” Raoul said.
The Gestapo came back. He was holding a burning stick. “No…” Raoul said. “What’re you going to do?”
“What do you think?” Karl asked. “An operator.”
“I’m not going to tell!” Raoul said. Karl nodded to a Gestapo. He swung the stick and hit Ed hard.
“AAAH!”
“An operator,” Karl said. “After I tell you,” Raoul said. “What will you do?”
“No, stupid! Don’t tell him a thing… AAAH!”
“I’ll let you go,” Karl said. “And ask him a few things, then I’ll let him go, too.”
Raoul thought for a while. “Don’t! He’s not going to do it!” Ed shouted. The Gestapo swung the stick.
“AAAAH!”
“Okay I’ll tell!” Raoul shouted. “He’s in the North Avenue number 67!”
Karl smiled in satisfaction. “Take him out,” he said. The Gestapo took Raoul out of the room.
“That’s just one example, Sheffield,” Karl said. “Can’t you be that obedient?”
“Am I not stubborn enough for you, Karl?” Ed asked. “No, oh, damn, you are stubborn, that’s why I’m here to make you softer,” Karl said. “I’ll never ever be any softer,” Ed said. “That Raoul guy is just too soft, that’s it.”
Karl thought for a while. “You’re not afraid of anything, are you?” he asked. He nodded at the Gestapo.
“AAAAAH!”
“See, I’m not being soft only because you’re an old friend,” Karl said. “Where is Aristide?”
“I don’t know!” Ed shouted. Karl nodded again, and the Gestapo hit him hard.
“Cough!”
Karl didn’t say anything. He just looked at the traces of blood on the floor. “Now, now,” Karl said. “Seems like you’re really being stubborn,” Karl said. A Gestapo kicked his chair, causing it to fall.
“Cough!”
Ed coughed out blood a few times. “Boss, this isn’t normal,” one of the Gestapo said. “Yes, I know that,” Karl said. “Bring him back to his cell. We’ll continue. Later.”
The Gestapo cut Ed’s ropes and dragged him to his cell. “So, we’ll continue later, Sheffield. I’m just giving you time to change your mind.”

Ed sat in his cell as he thought about everything.
“P…Pierre?”
“What?” Ed asked. “No… just…” Raoul said awkwardly. “You’re trying to beg an apology from me?” Ed asked. Raould didn’t answer.
“You know what, young man,” Ed said with a sigh. “Either I forgive you or not, it won’t make a single difference. The boss will still have you tried.”
“I know that,” Raoul said. Ed took a deep breath, then he coughed a few times.
“So, will you…”
“Now that you know it’s going to be the same,” Ed shouted. “Why not you go ahead and die!”
Raoul was stunned. He looked down as he started to cry.
“Are you a real agent? If you are, don’t cry,” Ed said. “But you’re right,” Raoul said. “Maybe I should go ahead and die.”
Ed didn’t say anything. He then plucked out one of his shirt buttons and threw it to Raoul’s cell.
“Go ahead, then,” he said. “I can’t afford to die here, so you can have it.”
Raoul looked at the button. He thought for a while.
Ed could hear footsteps getting louder. “Do it quick,” Ed said. Raoul thought for a while, then he took it and hid it in his pocket.
2 Gestapo walked to Ed’s cell and unlocked it. “Come,” he said as he got in and took Ed’s arm. Ed didn’t resist and yet let they drag him.
“Wait!” Raoul shouted. “What will you do with him?”
“That’s none of your business,” one of them said. “Why not you stay shut and wait for leutnant’s orders!”
Now Raoul realized it’s just a trick. “Hold on!” he said. “What are you going to do about me?”
The Gestapo ignored him. Raoul watched from his cell as the Gestapo dragged Ed away.
“Wait, wait!” Raoul shouted again.
Too late. In a matter of minutes, the 3 of them were gone. Raoul sat down again as he cried.
“I’m just a fool, aren’t I?” he told himself.
He took the pill Ed gave him. He looked at it as he thought about everything gone by. He then looked down and cried.
“I’m really sorry…” he said as he tossed it into his mouth. “I’m sorry…”

“AAAAAH!”
“What’s wrong, Sheffield? Still refuse to change your mind?” Karl asked.
Ed panted. “You’re really stubborn, aren’t you,” Karl said. “You know me,” Ed said. “And you still forced your bloody request for me to answer.”
“Sadly, Sheffield,” Karl said. “It’s my job to make you talk.”
Ed sighed with a smile. “Where is Aristide?” Karl asked. “Where do you think?” Ed asked. “I’m asking because I have no idea, you see,” Karl said. “Neither do I,” Ed said.
“AAAAH!”
Ed panted. The Gestapo put back his knife to the sheath. “You’re not going to answer?” Karl asked. “Did my ‘no’ ever turn to be a ‘yes’?” Ed asked.
“Oh, it will,” Karl said. “Pretty, soon, even.”
A Gestapo cut down Ed’s ropes and forced him to stand. Ed felt too weak to do anything. The Gestapo dragged him to a bathtub and splashed his head in. Ed tried to resist, but the Gestapo was pushing his head in very strongly. A few minutes later, they lifted up his head. Ed panted as he searched for the air he really needed.
“How miserable, Sheffield,” Karl said. “Perhaps you won’t have to undergo these if you spoke up a whole lot earlier.”
Ed didn’t say anything. “You’re not going to tell?” Karl asked. “Even if I do,” Ed said between his breaths. “Even if you let me go, I won’t be free from the boss’ trial,” he said.
The Gestapo splashed back Ed’s head. Ed coughed underwater.
“Where is Aristide?” Karl asked as the Gestapo lifted his head. “I’m telling you I don’t know!”
The Gestapo prepared to splash Ed back in when suddenly Ed coughed ut blood.
“Leutnant…”
Karl walked to Ed worriedly. “What happened?” the Gestapo asked. Karl knelt down and patted Ed’s back.
Ed kept on coughing, then he collapsed to the ground. The other Gestapo were stunned. Karl thought for a while, then he stood up.
“Enough for now,” Karl said coldlys. “We’ll continue tomorrow.”

No comments:

Post a Comment