Pages

Friday, February 04, 2011

ch. 10

--10
Berlin, 0900 hours
Ed walked into a building. A typical old German building. He looked around to make sure nobody is following him.
“Feldwebel! Feldwebel Von Schneider!”
Ed looked back and saw a man running to him. “Hey, long time no see,” the man said. Ed smiled. “How are you?” he asked. “Oh, I’m good. I’m good,” the man said. “How’s UK?” the man asked. “Well, not that bad. Just the people, they’re very careful,” Ed said. “I think I need to report to the colonel,” he said. “Oh, okay. He’s in his office now. He’ll be very happy to see you,” the man said. Ed smiled and got away. He walked upstairs and headed to a room.
“Wait, feldwebel,” an Abwehr said at the door. “Anything important regarding the colonel?”
“I’m just reporting,” Ed lied. “I see. Well, then…” the man said, then he knocked the door.
“Yes?”
“Sergeant Ernest’s here,” the Abwehr said. “Ernest?” Roderick asked from inside, then he thought for a while.
“But isn’t he caught? Did he escape?” he thought. “Okay, let him in,” Roderick said.
Ed entered the room. “Guten Morgen, herr oberst,” he said. “Hey there,” Roderick said as he stood up. “Long time no see, isn’t it? What took you so long to escape?” he asked. “Well, you know those British. Very very careful,” Ed said. “I see. But however, welcome back to the team,” Roderick said.
Ed smiled. “However, herr,” he said. “I bring you some information regarding the Husky operation,” he said. “Oh, sounds great!” Roderick said. “So, what’ve you got?” he asked. “I heard they’re planning to put a lot of forces in Greece, too,” Ed said. “How come?” Roderick asked. “Yes. No much forces in Greece, right?” Ed said. “Yes, I know, I know. But we still have some u-boats in Greece,” Roderick said. “And about Pantellaria, too. It’s kind of near to Sicily, and it’s not impossible for the Allies to use it, right?”
Ed gulped. He never thought that Roderick will know this much.
“Well, well,” Roderick said as he looked at his watch. “I’ve got a meeting with the Admiral in a few more minutes,” he said. “Tell me if you’ve got something else.”
Roderick walked out of his office and Ed was following him.
“See you, Ernest,” Roderick said as he waved his hand. Ed saluted and walked downstairs.
Roderick walked to a desk as he watched Ed’s movements like a hawk.
“Can I help you, herr?”
Roderick looked at the woman sitting behind the desk. “Thanks Ethel, but I guess I’m fine,” he said. “Now that Herr Ernest is back, I thought you’re supposed to be kind of happy and not suspicious like that,” she said. “I guess you’re right,” he said with a sigh. “But somehow I doubt that he’s really Ernest, you know.”
Ethel was puzzled. “What do you mean, oberst?” she asked. “The latest information we really have about Ernest is that he’s caught by the MI5,” Roderick said. “And yet, he showed up here, as if nothing’s happened.”
“Perhaps he escaped,” Ethel said. “You don’t know Ernest well enough,” Roderick said. “He’s not that smart to find a way to run. He’s not Schmidt, after all.”
Ethel turned to be more confused. Roderick looked at her for a while, then he sighed. “Ah, whatever,” he said. Ethel looked back at the documents.
“Any news from France?” Roderick asked. “Ah, yes, herr!” Ethel exclaimed. “Leutnant Von Werner will come today.”
Roderick smiled. “Sounds kind of good,” he said. “What time?” he asked. “He’ll arrive at around evening,” Ethel said. “Set me an appointment with him tomorrow,” he said. “Something wrong, herr?” she asked. “Just set it for me,” he said. Ethel nodded and looked at the papers. Roderick walked away as he smiled.
“Now, now,” he said. “I guess this is the end for my little Ernest.”

Berlin, 1000 hours
Karl walked into the office. “Are you Karl von Werner?” Roderick asked. “Yes, herr,” Karl said. “Sit down, please,” Roderick said. Karl sat on the sofa available. “Cigar?” he offered. “No, thanks, herr,” Karl said.
Roderick sat on his table as he lit a cigar. “Karl von Werner,” he said. “A lieutenant in France, very much used to handle Britons.”
Karl looked around the room, then he looked back at Roderick. “Can I help you with something, herr?” he asked. “Yes, of course,” Roderick said as he took out a folder from under his desk. “Can you read this for me?”
Karl took the folder and opened it. He started reading.
“Ernest von Schneider,” Roderick said. “One of my most trusted subordinates.”
Karl looked up to Roderick. “What’s wrong with him, herr?” he asked. “Last time we dropped him to UK, we heard he got caught,” Roderick said. “And then? Something happened?” Karl asked. “Yes,” Roderick said. “Yesterday, a man saying that he’s Ernest came by and gave me information.” “About what?” Karl asked.
“Sicily.”
Karl was stunned. “And the way London works is if they get you, you won’t be free,” Roderick said. “So nobody ever came back?” Karl asked. “Only some of the very experienced ones,” Roderick said. “And Ernest, he may be loyal and trustworthy, but he’s not that good about escaping.”
Karl looked back at the documents and looked at Roderick. “I just want you to make sure if he’s really Ernest or not,” Roderick said. “Yes, I know that,” Karl said. “Can you give a minute to think…”
KNOCK! KNOCK!
“A minute, Ethel!” Roderick shouted. “Who’s that?” Karl asked. “My secretary. Forget her,” Roderick said. “Wait, wait,” Karl said. “Ethel…”
“Tell her to come in,” Karl said. “What’re you planning to do?” Roderick asked. “Just do it,” Karl said.
“Come in, Ethel!” Roderick shouted.
Ethel opened the door awkwardly. “Herr, I’m bringing you the report you asked yesterday," she said. “Thanks a lot,” Roderick said. “Now you may go…”
“Wait, wait.”
Roderick looked at Karl. “What’s your name?” Karl asked. “Ethel Herald, herr,” she answered. “Nah,” Karl said. “You’ve got a boyfriend?” he asked. Ethel shook her head.
“Let’s see…” Karl said as he walked around her. Ethel held her breath. “What’s your plan?” Roderick asked. “We’ll trap your ‘son’,” Karl said. “And this one’s perfect, I guess.”
Ethel was puzzled. Karl could feel she’s being a bit afraid. “You don’t have to be afraid,” he said as he laughed. “All you have to do is flirt, you know.”
“What do you mean?” she asked. “You saw the Ernest yesterday?” Karl asked. “Your boss doubted he’s really Ernest.”
“You want me to reveal his identity?” Ethel asked. “Yeah, something like that,” Karl said with a smile. “What a sharp secretary you’ve got, Erick,” he praised.
Ethel gulped. “You just have to ask who he really is,” Karl said. “If it’s really Ernest, then that’s good.”
“But… why me?” Ethel asked. “You don’t look like an Abwehr at all, you know,” Karl said. “At least that will make things easier.”
Ethel sighed. “Your son’s coming today?” Karl asked. “I think so,” Roderick said. “Good. Then we can start quickly,” Karl said. He then patted Ethel’s shoulders.
“Be ready,” he said. Ethel nodded as she sighed.

No comments:

Post a Comment