Pages

Friday, February 04, 2011

ch.11

--11
Ed walked around to the dark streets of Berlin as he looked around in case someone was following him. Suddenly he saw someone a few meters in front of him. He was afraid, but he still walked to her.
“Guten Tag,” he greeted. “Excuse me, frau, but what are you doing in this dark street?”
Ethel looked at Ed. “Oh, I’m just having some fresh air,” she said. “Und du?”
“I was just passing by, but then I saw you,” he said. “Perhaps I should give you a nice greeting, that’s it.”
"Hey, you know what," Ed said. "You're kind of pretty."
Ethel looked down with her face red. "What's your name?" Ed asked. "Ethel," she answered shortly. "What a good name," he said. "My name is Ernest. Nice to meet you."
Ethel looked at Ed. "I've never seen you around," she said. "Yes. I just came from Munich," Ed said. "I see," she said.
They just stood there for a few minutes without saying a word. Ethel looked at Ed for a while, then she looked down again.
"I should go," Ed said as he left. "I'll see you later, Frau Ethel."
Ethel watched Ed leave.
"Hold on."
Ed looked back. "Are you sure we will… meet again?" she asked.
Ed thought for a while. "You know, a lot of people are dying out there," she said. "So I'm wondering..."
Ed smiled. "You don't have to worry," he said. "I'll see you later, then."
Ed walked out of the alley. Ethel watched him leave as she folded her skirt.
"He's not Ernest?" she thought. "I start to think he is, actually." Ed walked into a building as he looked around. "Can I help you, herr?" a man asked. "Yes. I'm going to stay here for about a week," Ed said. "I'm wondering if you have any spare rooms," he said. "Sure we have, herr," the man said. He pulled out the drawer and handed Ed a key. "How much will it be?" Ed asked. "About 900 marks a week," the man answered. "Well, well," Ed said as he took out his wallet. "Mind if I half of it now?" he asked. "No, herr," the man said. Ed gave the money and took the keys. "Vielen dank, herr," the man said as he bowed down.
Ed walked to a door which have the same number as the key, and got into the room. He locked the door and sat on a bed.
"Now, now," he said as he opened his paraset. He read the message and quickly decoded it. He read it for a few minutes "Oh, wow," he said, then he took out a match and lit the paper.
"So," he said as he stepped on the burning paper. "I guess Karl followed me all the way here."
1700 hours
"From here on," Karl said as he patted Ethel's shoulder. "Play your role." Ethel nodded and walked to a dark side of the building. Karl followed her as he looked around.
Ed walked to the building as he held a folder. He didn't realize that there were people watching him.
"That one, Herr Karl," Ethel said. Karl peeked from his place.
"He's not Ernest," Karl said. "Really?" Ethel asked. "Yeah," He said with a smile. "Sorry, they may look the same, but they're not."
Ethel looked at Karl, puzzled. "Then who is he?" she asked. "An old friend," he said. "Sorry, Sheffield, but you can't fool me."
Ed walked upstairs as he saluted to a few Abwehr around. They didn't seem to suspect him at all, but that didn't make Ed feel ease.
"Something's behind."
Roderick got out of his room. "Ernest!" he called. Ed looked at him and quickly ran to him. "Guten Abend, herr," he said. "Hahaha, forget the manners. What kind of information do you bring?" Roderick asked. "A lot," Ed simply answered. "Just look at this."
Roderick took the folder Ed gave him and started reading a few documents. Ed waited for him nervously as he looked around.
"What is it?"
"Nothing, herr," Ed answered. "I'm still a bit unused, that's it."
Roderick laughed out loud. "My dear Ernest," he said with a sigh. He put the folder on his table. "UK must've been tough for you."
Ed nodded. "How's the report?" he asked. "I actually doubt that they will really land in Sardinia," Roderick said. "But seems like there really is a lot of proof that they will, huh…"
Ed nodded. "Ah, whatever," Roderick said. "Where did you get all this information, Ernest?"
Ed was stunned. "You have a friend in Spain?" Roderick asked. "Actually no, herr," Ed answered. "I heard all this from a friend in Italy."
Roderick thought for a while. "And even if they're landing in Sardinia..." he said. "Where will it be?"
"Why not you divert those panzers in Sicily to Sardinia or Greece, herr," Ed suggested. "No, that will be dangerous," Roderick said. "Kesselring is positive that Sicily is one of their plans, but there aren't any proof. I searched around and found a bit of it," he explained.
"Can I help you, herr?" Ed asked. "Of course, Ernest. I need all kind of help I can get now," Roderick said. "Come back here in 2 days and give me more about Sicily, ok?" he asked. "I will, herr," Ed said.
"Now, now," Roderick said as he looked at his watch. "I've got to see someone. See you later," he said as he left.
Ed watched Roderick leave, then he looked at. The folder he gave. "Man, he's really cautious," he thought. He got out of the room.
"Now, now," Ed said as he arrived outside. "Let's see what we've got..."
Ethel got out of the alley and looked around. She quickly spotted the man she was looking for.
"Herr Ernest!" she called. Ed looked to her. "Hey, you're the one from yesterday," he said. "Yes, herr. You remember me, too," she said. "Of course," he said. "How can I forget such a beautiful lady."
Ethel looked down with her face red. Ed smiled and bowed to her. "Mind if I invite you for a drink, Ethel?" he asked. She thought for a while. Ed could read her mind, and smiled. "You may reject if you want to," he said. "No, it will be kind of impolite to reject your offer," Ethel said. "So you'll come with me tonight, won't you?" he asked. She nodded and held his hand. "Let's go, herr," she said. "Do you know any good place?" he asked. "I know the way to a beer hall nearby," she said. "Ok, let's go there," Ed said.
Ethel bit her sausage carefully as she looked at Ed.
Think about it now, she thought. Perhaps he's not Ernest.
"Is it good?"
Ethel was surprised. "Uh, oh, yeah," she answered. "Thanks for the meal, herr Ernest."
Ed smiled as he sipped a bit of his beer. "So is it true that you're an Abwehr?" Ethel asked. "Yeah," he answered shortly. "Sounds great!" she exclaimed. "What kind of country is UK?" she asked. "Well, pretty much like Berlin. But the people are very careful," he said. "I failed to escape a lot of times."
"Did they get you?" she asked. "Yeah. A lot of others too," he said. "So how'd you escape?" she asked. "Oh, it's a secret," he said with a wink. "You can say it's thanks to luck and intelligence."
Ethel put down her fork and drank some beer. "Can you tell me more about your adventure?" she asked. "Oh, you want to hear about it? Just to tell you, it's going to be a kind of a long, boring story," he said. "I'm used to long stories. Tell me, tell me," she begged. Ed thought for a while, then he sighed. "If you insist," he said. "Now, now... Where should I start?"
Ed drank a bit of beer again, and now he started to feel dizzy.
Geez, I'm never used to alcohol.
"Actually UK is a beautiful place," Ed said. "The people are very brave, you know. When our Luftwaffe bombed them, they're not even afraid," he said. "Really? what did they do?" she asked. "They hide in their underground railways," he said. "And they aren't even afraid of our ultimatums, too. They once just picked our pamflet and sell it like train tickets."
Ethel laughed. "Hey, I'm serious," Ed said. "I know that. It's just hard to believe," she said. "Why not drink a bit before you continue, herr? You seem thirsty," she offered. "No, I'll drink later," Ed said. "Shall I continue?" he asked. "Yes, please," she said.
"The people moved their children to the countryside," Ed said. "And what about them?" Ethel asked. "They stayed in London and struggled to survive," he said. Ethel nodded and then she lifted her glass. "Pröst," she said. Ed lifted his glass and struck it to hers, and drank it. Ethel drank it too, to the last drip.
Ed put down his glass and now he felt so weak. "Are you alright, herr?" she asked. "I'm a bit dizzy," he said. "Maybe you should go home," she said. "Ok, if you're fine with it," he said. "I'll pay and let's leave."
Ed walked to the cashier and handed her some money. Ethel quickly followed him.
"Hey, you can go home," Ed said. "No, I'll go with you. I'm afraid you need some help on the way," Ethel said. "I'm going to be really fine," he confirmed. "Still, I'll go with you. I'm worried," she said. "You're the kind of woman who's really loyal, aren't you?" he askes. "Ok, you can go with me."
Ed walked out of the hall with Ethel as he held his head. "Sorry, Ethel. I invited you for a drink and I'm the first one to get drunk," Ed said. "No, it's fine. I don't like it if I'm the first one to get drunk, either," Ethel said.
Ed walked to his apartment and looked at Ethel. "Ok, I guess I'm fine now," he said. "I doubt it, Herr Ernest. I'll go with you," she said. "Don't trouble yourself," he said. "I'm not troubled, don't worry," she said. Ed sighed and walked to his room. Ethel followed him as she looked around.
Suddenly Ed felt weird. He coughed a few times. "Are you alright?" Ethel asked. Ed didn't answer. She quicjly took his arms and circled it around her neck, then she stood up.
"Where's your room?" she asked. "Number 389," Ed answered, then he fell asleep. Ethel sighed and walked slowly to the room. She then touched his chest and felt something hard.
"Nah, finally," she said as she took out a key from Ed's pocket. She inserted it to the hole and turned it to the left.
CLICK
Ethel opened the door and dragged Ed in. She put him on the bed, then she sighed and looked around.
"Now, if he's not Ernest," she whispered. "I need something to confirm that."
Ethel opened the only cabinet, and found it empty. She walked to a suitcase and opened it. She strolled through the clothes and everything else, and found everything to be normal.
"He's Ernest," she thought as she stood up and walked to the door. She then realized there was another suitcase next to the door.
"What's that?" she thought as she walked to the suitcase. She looked at it for a while, then she opened it.
"This…"
Ethel quickly closed it back and got out of the apartment. She closed the door very quietly and walked downstairs.
"Sorry," she said. "Can I borrow your phone?"
The man smiled. "Of course," he said as he handed the phone to her. Ethel spinned the numbers and waited.
"Guten Abend."
"Herr Karl," Ethel said. "He's not Ernest."
Karl smiled. "Very good, Ethel," he said. "Don't show up in the office till next week, ok?"
“So…”
Karl looked his watch, then he looked back at Roderick. Roderick nodded and got into his office. Karl could hear footsteps and he quickly hid behind a pillar.
Ed walked upstairs. A Wehrmacht soldier was following him from the behind. Ed realized someone was following him, but still, he tried to keep up with his cool. He walked up to the door of Roderick’s office, and knocked the door.
“Who is it?”
“Ernest von Schneider, reporting, herr!” Ed shouted. “Come in,” Roderick said.
Ed entered the room. “Ah, good to see you, feldwebel. What kind of report do you bring today?” Roderick asked. “About the movements in Sicily,” Ed said as he handed some papers. Roderick took it and read it carefully. “Then, excuse me,” Ed said as he walked away.
“Wait, wait, Ernest,” Roderick called. “Can I help you again, herr?” Ed asked. “Not really, but why not you stay here? I’ve got something to talk with you,” Roderick said.
A trap.
“I’ve got an appointment, herr,” Ed said. “Oh, come on. Just a minute,” Roderick said. Ed thought for a while. “How long will it take, herr?” he asked. “Well, maybe about 15 minutes. You won’t mind, I guess?” Roderick asked. “I must show up in 10 minutes, herr,” Ed said.
KNOCK! KNOCK!
“Erick?” Karl asked from outside. “May I come in, please?”
“Oh, here he comes,” Roderick said. “Why not stay here for a little more while, feldwebel?” he asked. “No, wait, wait, herr…”
Too late. Karl entered the room. “Guten Morgen,” Karl greeted as he got in. “Oh, hey, Karl! It’s you!” Roderick said as he stood up and walked to Karl. “You’re still here? I thought you’re in UK,” Karl said. “No. I guess Canaris really likes to have me around, hahaha,” Roderick said as he laughed. “And who is this?” Karl asked. “Oh, one of my fellow agents. His name’s Ernest,” Roderick introduced. Ed forced out a smile.
“Hmm,” Karl said. “Reminds me to Henri,” he said. “Henri? You mean Hugo?” Roderick asked. “Yeah, of course, who else could it be,” Karl said. “Who is this, oberst?” Ed asked. “Oh, him? An old friend,” Roderick said. “And you know what? He’s a Gestapo! He worked in France!” he declared. Karl walked to Ed and shook his hand. “Karl von Werner,” he said. “Ernest von Schneider,” Ed said. “Nice to meet you.”
Roderick looked at the door. “You see, Karl,” he said. “Regretfully… my sergeant has an appointment in the next… 5 minutes, I guess,” he said. “Oh, really?” Karl asked. “I won’t bother, then. You can go,” he said. “That’s very kind of you,” Ed said as he bowed down. “Now, please excuse me.”
Ed got out of the room. Karl watched him leave.
“What’s next, genius?” Roderick asked. “Don’t worry. I’ve told my men to take care of him,” Karl said. “This is the first and last time Himmler and Canaris work together,” Roderick said. “I know that, don’t worry,” Karl said as he left. “Now… you can go back to work peacefully, I guess?” he asked. “Of course,” Roderick said.

Ed ran to a street. He looked at his watch and grunted a bit in German. He could actually hear footsteps behind him. He just kept walking as he tried to search for a deserted alley.
The alley where he hid his radio equipments.
“How is it?” Karl asked. “We got him, herr. The 7th Street,” a Gestapo said. “Good job. Keep it up,” Karl said, then he walked out of the phone box. “How is it?” a Gestapo asked. “7th Street. Make sure you don’t lose him,” Karl said.
Ed slowed down as he panted. He looked around and saw nobody. He quickly took out his paraset and threw it to the ground, hard.
“Sheffield?”
Ed froze. “Long time no see,” Karl said. “You’ve got the wrong person, herr,” Ed said. “I’m never wrong when it comes to agents’ thing,” Karl said as he walked to Ed.
Ed stood up and tried to run, but when he looked up, 5 Gestapo were in front of him.
“I thought I’m kind enough to let you go,” Karl said. “Yet, you came back. How silly.”
Ed didn’t say anything. “Follow me,” Karl said as he took out his revolver. “So you think I’m scared?” Ed asked.
CLICK!
Ed felt pain on his leg. He knelt down as he held his bleeding leg.
“Yes, I guess so,” Karl said. “Take him away.”
The Gestapo helped Ed stand, then he hit Ed’s neck hard.
“Cough!”
Karl coldly turned back as he saved back his revolver. “You know what to do,” he told his men. They nodded and followed the 5 Gestapo.
“Actually I don’t like to do this, Sheffield,” Karl said. “But if you insisted, I have no choice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment