Pages

Friday, February 04, 2011

ch.5

--5

1500 hours
Roger looked at his watch. A few men were hiding behind a tree.
A car came to the field. A man got down of the car. “The tree won’t be here next week. It will be a house,” Roger said as he pointed a tree. “Aristide’s assistant?” the man asked. Roger nodded. “And you’re Le Chef, I guess,” Roger said. “Yes. Who are you, actually?” the man asked. “Well… just a friend of Aristide,” Roger answered. “Did you know, sir, that Alphonse was caught?” he asked. “Yes, I know. A few days ago, I guess?” the man asked. “You know, sir, that’s kind of dangerous. She hid a radio in her house,” Roger said. “And her house… I guess you suggested it.”
The man nodded. “How come, sir? Who leaked the information?” Roger asked. “Well, actually…” “Last week, one of our trucks was caught, right?” Roger asked. “Yes. The Gestapo then caught me,” the man answered. “Only you, sir?” Roger asked. The man nodded.
“It must be him,” a man behind the tree whispered. Roger looked back at the man, and the man quickly shut up.
“What have you told them?”
The man looked down. “I…”
“Just tell me.”
The man nodded. “About some of our radio positions and agents…”
Roger looked at his pocket watch. “Sorry, I’ve got something to do. I’ll see you later,” he said, and then he walked into the darkness of the woods.
The men walked up to Roger. “Aristide, what’re you doing? Just kill him!” one of them said. “Yes! We don’t need to ask the boss’ orders about it!” the other said. “No, no. Let’s just wait. Even if we caught him, it won’t make any difference. Besides…” Roger paused. “I’m more interested in his motive of betraying us.”

Two week later. 1300 hours
Ed knocked the door twice. A man opened the door. “You see, this is from Roger and this is the order,” the man said. “The one from Roger is for the both of you.”
Ed nodded. “Thank you, sir,” he said, then he left. He walked down to the street and looked around.
Karl looked out from an alley and hid in again. “So, you,” he said, pointing to one of his men. “You use this pie cart, and try to go in front of him. I hope he stops you,” he said. The man nodded. He quickly wore civilian clothes outside his Gestapo uniform and rode on the cart. He drove out of the alley with some pies as the baggage and went past Ed.
“Excuse me, monsieur,” Ed said. “Can I have a ride?”
Karl watched the whole thing from the dark alley. “Get ready,” he told the other Gestapo who are with him.
Ed got onto the cart. He looked around to look for any suspicious people but there was nobody.
“Where are you going, monsieur?” the Gestapo asked. “Ah… I’ll just go to the South Avenue. You can then drop me there,” Ed answered. The man nodded and drove the cart that way.
Karl followed them from behind with a car. “The South Avenue, herr,” one of his men said. “Tell him to take him there. After that, we follow him,” Karl said. “Prepare your clothes.”
Ed realized there was a car behind them. “Can you ride a bit faster, please? I’m in a hurry,” Ed said. The man nodded and drove a bit faster.
Ed sat back as he watched the car, which was following them. He quickly realized who was behind.
“Monsieur, I’ll just get down here,” Ed said as he jumped down. He fell to the ground, hard. “Hey, hey! It’s dangerous!” the man said. Ed stood up and smiled to him as he rubbed his head. “But why? It’s still far from here,” the man said. “No, that’s fine, sir. I suddenly remembered I have another business,” Ed said. He then took out a few francs. “Just take this as my apology, monsieur,” he said as he handed it to the man.
Karl passed by the cart. “After this, follow him,” he told one of his men. “Leave it to me,” the man said. He watched Ed left to the other way. “Tell him to just go south. We’ll take care of him,” Karl said. The man nodded and passed it through the radio.
Ed looked at a mirror shop and he could see the car mad a u-turn and was following him.
Gestapo? How come?
He walked into an alley and go out at the other side. He knew he has to walk further that way, but for him, that’s better than giving himself to the Gestapo.
He started to run.
“Any Gestapo over there?” Karl asked. “No, herr,” one of his men answered. “Shit. I’ll go down. You guys make a turn and go to the agent’s house!” Karl said as he got down.

30 minutes later
Ed rushed upstairs and knocked on a door. The agent opened the door. “Any new things?” he asked. “Yes, sir,” Ed said between his breath. The agent opened the door a bit wider. “Is someone after you?” he asked. “I’m not sure,” Ed said as he took out a small paper. “This. A new order and a message from Aristide,” Ed said. The man got out and took the paper. “Ok, thank you,” the man said. He closed the door.
Ed turned back and walked downstairs.
“Hold there, Pierre Laurent.”
Ed was stunned. He could feel the coldness of metal behind his head. “Raise your hands and follow us,” Karl said. “No, herr, I think you caught the wrong man,” Ed said. “No, I can’t be wrong,” Karl said. “Show us your ID, please,” he ordered.
“I refuse,” Ed said. “What will you do with it?”
“Just give it to me,” Karl said. “or I’ll take it from you with force.”
Ed sighed. He took out his wallet and gave it to Karl. Karl opened it and handed the fake identity card to one of his men. The man walked to the front office and took the phone.
“No answer, herr,” the man said a few minutes later.
“Please follow us, agent,” Karl said. “And I hope you want to work with us, unless you want to die.”

No comments:

Post a Comment