Pages

Friday, February 04, 2011

ch.12

--12
A few men threw Ed to his cell. Ed panted as he saw blood oozing out from his mouth.
“You won’t survive the lieutenant, Brit!” one of them said, then they left.
Ed panted a few times, then he struggled to sit up. He looked around his cell as he thought of something that might be useful for escaping.
There!
Ed stood up and leaned to the wall. He coughed a few times, then he fell to the floor.
“Okay, okay, calm down,” he whispered. He took out his knife from his shoes and walked to a corner of the room. He sat down again, took some breaths, then he slashed the knife to his finger.
“Good,” he said. “Very good.”

“Okay, so, it’s safe now?” Roderick asked. “I hope so,” Karl said as he poured some coffee. “Coffee?”
“No, thanks,” Roderick rejected. “So now that things are going pretty well,” he said. “You want me to pay or something?”
“No, no, herr,” Karl said. It’s my task as a Gestapo,” he said. “Can I pay a small visit to Ernest, leutnant?” Roderick asked. “Oh, sure you can,” Karl said. “My men will go with you, you won’t mind about it, will you, herr?” Karl asked. “No, no, of course not,” Roderick said. Karl nodded to the other Gestapo in the room and the Gestapo took a key. “Follow me, oberst,” he said.
Roderick walked into the cell. “Guten Abend, Ernest,” he said. “Guten Abend, oberst. Wie geht es Ihnen?” Ed asked. “Gut, danke,” Roderick said. “Und du?”
Ed didn’t answer. He slowly took the knife from his pocket and held it without Roderick realizing. “A pretty good try, but good think I have Von Werner here,” Roderick said. “Just what do you want?” Ed asked. “Just to greet you,” Roderick said. “But I think you seem to be doing fine, huh?”
“Of course I am,” Ed said. “And besides…”
Ed turned his body round and stabbed the knife to Roderick’s stomach.
“I’ll be even better if you die,” Ed said. The Gestapo guiding Roderick was stunned.
“Helfen!”
The other Gestapo started coming. The Gestapo himself got in and took Roderick’s body out. The other quickly dragged Ed out of his cell to a room.
“What is it?” Karl asked as he walked to the room. “He killed the colonel,” a Gestapo answered.
“You killed Erick, don’t you?” Karl asked. “What’re you talking about?” Ed asked. “Don’t pretend to be stupid,” Karl said, then he pulled Ed’s shirt.
“What do you want now?” Ed asked. “I just want you to answer bits of my questions,” Karl answered coldly. “Questions from Erick for you.”
Ed didn’t say anything. “You’re not going to say a thing?” Karl asked. “And what am I supposed to say?” Ed asked. “Just answer me and I’ll let you,” Karl said. “Quit making fake promises, Karl,” Ed said.
“Cough!”
“I felt underestimated, Sheffield,” Karl said as he placed his foot on Ed’s chest. “Why not be a smart, good boy, and obey me?” he asked. “And why are you even asking a dead man’s question,” Ed said. “You’re still as stupid as before.”
2 Gestapo took Ed’s arms and dragged him out of the cell. They dragged him to a room and tied him on a chair.
Karl entered the room. “Seriously,” Ed said with a sigh. “What do you want?”
“Just your plans for Sicily,” Karl said. “I don’t know a thing,” Ed said. “You’re lying, aren’t you,” Karl said as he walked around.
“AAAAAAAH!”
“I’m not showing you any mercy like I did in France, Sheffield,” Karl said. “So what? I don’t need your pity,” Ed said. “Wow, you’re getting brave,” Karl said as he nodded to a Gestapo.
“AAAAAAAAH!”
Ed coughed out loud a few times. “You’re not going to tell?” Karl asked. “I’m not. I don’t know a thing,” Ed said between his breaths.
Karl walked to Ed’s back. “You’re really stubborn,” Karl said. A Gestapo hit him once again.
Ed coughed out blood again. “I’m tired of doing this as well, Sheffield,” Karl said. “Please, tell me.”
Ed panted. “And why must I?” Ed asked. “Because then I’ll let you go,” Karl said.
Ed looked around. He could saw a knife on the desk a few feet from him. He thought for a while.
“Tell me, Karl.”
Karl stopped walking. “What’s it?” he asked. “Do you promise to let me go?” Ed asked. “Did I ever break my promise, Sheffield?” Karl asked. “No, but your Fuhrer did, a lot,” Ed said. Karl sighed. “Oh, bloody damn, I’m not him. Trust me,” Karl said.
Ed thought again. “Promise?” he asked. “Of course. I promise to deport you back to UK,” Karl said.
Ed smiled.
“Yes,” he said. “We’re landing in Sicily.”
Karl coded a Gestapo. He quickly took out a piece of paper and pen. “How much forces?” Karl asked. “I’m not sure. But Monty won’t be there, I guess,” Ed said. “What about Ike? Patton?” Karl asked. “Patton is possible,” Ed said. “So Major Martin is seriously just a lie, right?” Karl asked. “Yeah, something like that,” Ed answered. “Where?” Karl asked. “Licata and Gela,” Ed answered.
Karl looked at the paper Roderick gave him. “Ok,” he said. “Let him go.”
A Gestapo started to untie Ed. Ed panted as he could feel the big burden holding him was gone.
“Why don’t you be this obedient since the beginning, Sheffield,” Karl said. “Maybe you won’t be hurt that badly.”
The Gestapo took away the ropes and gave it to his friend. “Enjoy your freedom, Sheffield,” Karl said as he opened the door. “Now you’re free.”
Ed smiled. “Thanks a lot,” he said as he stood up. “Now you’re really letting me go, aren’t you?”
Karl nodded. “Okay, that’s enough,” Ed said. He walked to the desk and took the knife. He slashed it to his wrist, causing it to bleed badly.
The Gestapo panicked. “Call a doctor! Quick!” Karl shouted as he ran to Ed.
“Sheffield, what’re you doing…”
Ed punched Karl hard on the stomach. Karl spit out ribbons of blood. Ed quickly stood up and ran out of the room.
“Lieutenant!” a Gestapo called as he ran to Karl. “Hang on!”
“Stop him…”
The Gestapo was stunned. “Stop him… whatever it takes!” Karl shouted. The Gestapo nodded and chased Ed.
Karl sat up as he held his stomach. “Damn you, Sheffield,” he whispered.

Ed kept running. He made it out of the building, then he looked back and realized that Gestapo was chasing. Ed Held his shoulders hard as he continued running.
“Stop there!” one of them shouted. Ed ignored him. He just kept running. Suddenly he felt a strong urge from inside. Ed knelt down and coughed out hard.
The Gestapo took out their guns and pointed it at Ed’s head. “Hold on there!” one of them said. “You’re not going anywhere!”
Ed didn’t say anything. He vomited out blood and fell to the ground.
Es tut mir Leid, Karl…
And it gone dark.

“He’s dead, leutnant.”
Karl knelt down next to Ed and touched his neck. He then stood up again. “What to do now?” a Gestapo asked. “At least we should bury him properly,” Karl said as he turned back. “I’m leaving this to you.”
The Gestapo nodded and left to the building. Karl looked at Ed’s body for a while, then he walked away.
“I won’t forget you for my life, Sheffield,” he said. “I promise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment